GeoMesa 2.0.0 is the first release in the 2.x line. It provides version updates for most major dependencies, SparkSQL JTS integration, a scala console integrated into the command line tools, and more. In addition, this release focuses on usability and polish, and includes 211 fixes and improvements since the 1.3.5 release.
The 2.x line changes some module names and data store parameters from the 1.3.x line. See the upgrade guide for more details.
Dependency Version Updates
- Update to GeoTools 18 and GeoServer 2.12
- Update to Spark 2.2.0
- Support for Kafka 1.0
- Support for CDH HBase 1.2
- Replacement of Joda time with java.time
Notable Improvements / Fixes
- SparkSQL JTS integration (geometry types for SparkSQL)
- Interactive Scala console bundled with command-line tools
- Command-line export of leaflet maps for easy visualization
- Improved heat maps for non-point geometries
- Improved table pre-splitting options
- Support for namespaces in GeoServer GML output
- Fixed Boolean comparisons in push-down filters
- Support for HBase table compression
- Support for Cloudera HBase 1.2
- Support for ingesting directly from SQL databases
- Support for ORC files in the File System data store
- Improved and expanded tutorials and documentation
Versions and Compatibility
The 2.0 line of GeoMesa will follow Semantic Versioning. It will continue to offer data compatibility, in that data written with older versions will still be readable. It will also offer API compatibility, in that any 2.x client code will be able to communicate with any 2.x server code, although using new features that are added may require updating both client and server code.
Due to the switch from Joda time to java.time, the date format strings used by the GeoMesa converter library have changed slightly. In particular, 'YYYY' will generally need to be replaced with 'yyyy'. See the upgrade guide for details.
GeoMesa 2.x supports upgrade in place from previous versions, by updating the GeoMesa JAR versions. Ensure that JARs are updated in all clients and servers. See the upgrade guide for information on changes that may affect you after the update.